Red Hat, the world’s leading open source and Linux provider, is headquartered in Raleigh, NC with satellite offices spanning the globe. Red Hat is leading Linux and open source solutions into the mainstream by making high quality, low cost technology accessible. Red Hat provides operating system software along with middleware, applications and management solutions. Red Hat also offers support, training and consulting services to its customers worldwide and through top-tier partnerships. Red Hat’s Open Source strategy offers customers a long term plan for building infrastructures that are based on and leverage open source technologies with focus on security and ease of management. Red Hat was founded in 1994 by visionary entrepreneurs Bob Young and Marc Ewing. [Source: Red Hat, Inc.]
Things to read:
- About Red Hat
- What is Open Source?
- What is Red Hat’s Business Model?
- How Red Hat Software Stumbled Across a New Economic Model and Helped Improve an Industry by Robert Young
Questions to consider:
- What is the “Open Source” business model? How does Red Hat make money?
- What are the advantages and disavantages of the Open Source model in comparison to the Commercial Software Development (CSD) model advocated by Microsoft?
Selected trademark applications and registrations:
- RED HAT ®
- LINUX UNDERCOVER
- Search real-time for U.S. trademarks.
- Red Hat: Statement of Position and Our Promise on Software Patents
- Search real-time for new U.S. patents granted to Red Hat.