TRUSTe, the independent trust authority, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to enabling individuals and organizations to establish trusting relationships based on respect for personal identity and information in the evolving networked world. Founded in 1997, TRUSTe runs the largest privacy seal program, certifying more than 1,500 Web sites throughout the world with support from its sponsors, Microsoft, AOL, DoubleClick and Intuit. TRUSTe also provides standards, certification and oversight for email accreditation with its Email Privacy Seal and the Bonded Sender Program. [Source: TRUSTe, November 2005]
Things to read:
Questions to consider:
- What is TRUSTe? What is its mission?
- What is a "trustmark"?
- What are the core tenets of the TRUSTe privacy seal?
- What are the benefits and limitations of the self-governance approach to Internet privacy advocated by Truste?
- What is "phishing" and what can manager's do to limit the risk to their customers?
- Will the "Trusted Download Program" help limit the problem adware or make it worse?