Priceline.com is a leading U.S. online travel service for value-conscious leisure travelers, which operates in concert with Booking.com, a leading international online hotel reservation service. Priceline.com also operates Agoda.com, an Asian online hotel reservation service. In the U.S., priceline.com gives customers more ways to save on their airline tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars, vacation packages and cruises than any other Internet travel service. In addition to getting published prices, leisure travelers can narrow their searches using priceline.com's TripFilter search technology, create packages to save even more money, and take advantage of priceline.com's famous Name Your Own Price® service, which can deliver the lowest prices available. Priceline.com also operates the following travel websites: Travelweb.com, Lowestfare.com, RentalCars.com and BreezeNet.com. Priceline.com also has a personal finance service that offers home mortgages, refinancing and home equity loans through an independent licensee. Priceline.com licenses its business model to independent licensees, including priceline mortgage and certain international licensees. [Source: Priceline.com, December 2007]
Things to read:
Questions to consider:
- What is the basis of the Priceline "demand collection system" model? How does Priceline make money in its business?
- The Priceline model is frequently referred to as a "reverse auction". Is the Priceline "name your own price" service in fact an auction, strictly speaking? Why or why not?
- How widely applicable is the Priceline model?
Selected trademark applications and registrations:
- PRICELINE ®
- PRICELINE.COM ®
- NAME YOUR OWN PRICE
- I THINK THEREFORE I SAVE
- Search real-time for U.S. trademarks.
- 6,356,878 -- Conditional purchase offer buyer agency system.
- 6,345,090 -- Conditional purchase offer management system for telephone calls.
- 6,332,129 -- Method and system for utilizing a psychographic questionnaire in a buyer-driven commerce system.
- 6,240,396 -- Conditional purchase offer management system for event tickets.
- 6,134,534 -- Conditional purchase offer management system for cruises.
- 6,108,639 -- Conditional purchase offer (CPO) management system for collectibles.
- 6,085,169 -- Conditional purchase offer management system.
- 6,041,308 -- System and method for motivating submission of conditional purchase offers.
- 5,897,620 -- Method and apparatus for the sale of airline-specified flight tickets.
- 5,797,127 -- Method, apparatus, and program for pricing, selling, and exercising options to purchase airline tickets (Walker Digital).
- 5,794,207 -- Method and apparatus for a cryptographically assisted commercial network system designed to facilitate buyer-driven conditional purchase offers (Walker Digital).
- Search real-time for new U.S. patents granted to Priceline.com.